Questions you might ask
Will my child be happy and accepted?
- What type of orientation program will my child have? Should they attend the program offered at their local school?
- What support can the school offer to help my child adjust to the new environment (e.g. buddy system)?
- Does the school community have an awareness of students with disabilities/additional needs?
- How will the school create an environment that helps my child be accepted?
- What level of information about my child’s disability and needs will the other children in the class have?
- Are there other children with an identified disability / learning need enrolled in the school?
- How can I become involved in the school as a parent?
- How many children are enrolled in the school?
What will my child learn? Identifying educational needs?
- Who will be involved in the assessment of my child’s needs and the development of my child’s program?
- What information does the school need to make decisions about my child’s educational support needs? What information can I provide to the team?
- How will the class teacher cater for the individual needs of my child?
- Will there be potential for the program to be modified if needed?
- What, if any, additional support will the class teacher receive?
- Will staff have an opportunity to have professional development in relation to meeting my child’s learning needs?
- What resources are available in the school to support my child?
- Is there any special education expertise within the staff?
- How will the program be monitored and evaluated?
- Can I have a copy of any plans or programs developed for my child?
- What support is available to help prepare my child for school? How can I help?
Planning for Access, Support or Placement?
- What is my role in the process of deciding where my child will go to school?
- Who can tell me what educational services and resources are available to my child?
- Does my child need an assessment from a doctor, psychologist or therapist before enrolment occurs?
- Can I talk to the principal of any school to help me decide on the best placement for my child?
- Can I attend all meetings about my child?
- Can I bring a support person, friend or an advocate to school meetings?
- Is an interpreter available to help me when I meet with staff?
- Will the level/type of support change if my child’s needs change?
- How will you ensure my child is safe in the playground?
- Will the school be made physically accessible for my child if necessary?
- If my child requires specialised equipment in the classroom will that be provided?
- Will therapy be provided / can professionals involved with my child work in partnership with the school?
- Will my child have a Health Care Plan? (if applicable)
- Who will carry out health care procedures? (if applicable)
- What facilities are available to perform health care procedures with privacy? (if applicable)
- What procedures need to be in place for emergencies?
- Who do I contact if I am not happy with the placement/support offered to my child?
- Who do I contact if I have concerns about the level or type of support provided to my child?
- Can my child be moved from a special class / special school to a regular class if needs change? How does this happen and who will be involved?
- Can my child be moved from a regular class to a support class / special school if needs change? How does this happen and who will be involved?
What are the schools expectations around behaviour?
- What will happen if my child is teased?
- What expectations will there be on my child’s behaviour and how will my child be supported or disciplined?
- What supervision / support will be available on the playground?
How will I know how my child is going at school?
- When can I come to the school to talk about my child’s progress? Who do I talk to about my child’s progress?
- What ongoing communication is available between the class teacher and me?
- What records are kept about my child and do I have access to these records?
- Are parents included in class programs (e.g. parent helpers)?
- Will the teacher contact me if there is a problem?
- How does the school work in partnership with other agencies/professionals involved with my child?
- Will you ask for permission before contacting other professionals/agencies?
- How does the school communicate with parents?
- How can I be involved in the school? Can parents help with the class programs?
- How will you keep information about my child/family confidential?
- How will the school involve me in decisions relating to my child’s educational needs?